Day: September 15 2018
Time: 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm
Employ My Ability has been supporting Positive Steps Charity since 2015, hosting and supporting many successful fundraising events. Positive Steps is a small UK based charity run entirely by volunteers. It works to assist in providing medical and health care assistance to people in Nkhoma and the surrounding area in Malawi directly through financial support for medical care and travel and indirectly through support with training and provision of resources where needed. To date over £45,000 has been raised and 100% of this money is used to provide medical healthcare and assistance to the people of Nkhoma.
We’re delighted to let you know we are now working in partnership with Positive Steps Charity with the life-changing Nkhoma Hospital Solar Project, which will enable Nkhoma Hospital in Malawi to have power for the next 20 years and more.
To help fundraise £100,000 and officially launch the Nkhoma Hospital Solar Project, we are excited to announce that EMA are hosting the Big Sun Dance Solar Launch Party, here at The Walled Gardens, Moreton on Saturday 15th September!
Join us for a fun-filled evening including:
- Live Music from the Bridport Big Band
- Two very special comedians performing stand up
- Delicious food
- Silent auction
- All-important fundraising!
Tickets are £35.00 per person plus a booking fee, tickets can be purchased from Event Brite – https://bit.ly/2vJz5yk
Nkhoma Hospital does not turn people away when they have no money. This shortfall in running costs comes from outside help, with donations from organizations around the world for specific programs e.g. the tuberculosis (TB) program, hospital transport, malnutrition and more.
The devastating result of no electricity is:
- Premature Babies can only rely on kangaroo care, the body warmth of their mothers (and hospital staff) because the heaters in the premature baby room do not work.
- There is no vital supplemental oxygen for patients with breathing problems or patients who need surgery as the oxygen concentrators need power.
- Medication that should be kept cool, gets too warm in the African heat to be viable.
- Operations are cancelled.
- Surgical equipment cannot be cleaned.
- The laboratory cannot cross match blood so vital blood transfusions are delayed.
- Babies aredelivered, and wounds are sutured by torch light.
Raising £100,0000 will double the amount of essential operations and lifesaving activities that are carried out at Nkhoma Hospital. and will make an outstanding impact within the hospital and the Nkhoma community. The money raised will also mean that Nkhoma Hospital no longer has the same struggle to continue the vital service it renders to the 32,000-member community it serves. Currently, it is frequently without power for long periods of time, with the staff under increased pressure to help the community and save lives.
This is a really exciting initiative and will make a real difference to the way that Nkhoma Hospital is able to operate and, most importantly, it will save lives.
Charity updates can be found at www.facebook.com/positivestepscharity/ and tickets can be purchased from Event Bright (https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/big-sun-dance-solar-launch-party-tickets-48083299443?aff=efbeventtix), A-Line Taxi’s in Dorchester or at The Walled Garden Moreton.